Join us for this exciting two day workshop! You will carve a design into a bar of soap and use it as a mold to create your own unique texture or design using Silver Metal Clay (PMC). During the workshop, you will be guided through the following steps by instructor and silversmith, Sue Sharp:
- Creation of a design for a pendant or earrings on tracing paper
- The process of transferring and carving the design on a bar of soap
- Preparing your materials for an impression.
- [Day Two] Pressing your metal clay into the carving and making final touch-ups.
- Once the piece dries, it will be fired in a kiln to turn the clay into pure silver. With your finished piece, you will use wire wrapping techniques to create bails or earring loops.
Audience: This workshop is suitable for children (6 and up), teenagers and adults of all experience levels. Parents, please note that there is some carving involved. Childrens' clay tools would be suitable for children to use.
Supplies: Supplies are included in the workshop fee. Please bring the following with you to the workshop:
- Optionally, you may create a design prior to the workshop... but you will have time during the workshop to work on your design.
- Carving tools if you have any (small wood carvers, dental tools, lino tools, clay tools, or etc.). The Leighton Art Centre has lino tools available for anyone who does not have their own tools!
- Bar of soap: Look for a firmer bar that has less tendency to flake or mush. Sue likes to use Ivory, but feel free to experiment on your own before the class.
- There may be additional packages of PMC available for purchase at the class (approximately $50).
- Some synthetic stones will also be available for firing in your piece if students wish to purchase (approximately $5 each)
- A lunch, water bottle, and snacks for each day of the workshop.
Registration cost: $135 plus GST & Eventbrite Fees*
* or register by phone: 403-931-3633, Tues-Sat, 10 am – 4 pm to avoid Eventbrite fees
Registration closes on Wednesday October 31st, 2018 at 9 PM
Did you know that Members of the Leighton Art Centre, get 10% off the registration cost of all workshops and kids’ summer camps? Visit our website to find out more about our memberships.
For our Cancellation and Refund Policy, please visit the Workshop page on our website.
Artist / Instructor / Guide
Sue Sharp, Silversmith, is a studio artist living and working in the Millarville area since 1994. She graduated with distinction from the Alberta College of Art and Design in the Jewelry and Metals program under the tutorage of masters such as Charles Lewton-Brain, Dee Fontans and Sarabeth Carnet. Her art speaks of ornate patterns, rich symbolism, intriguing textures, repeating patterns, narratives and Mother Nature. What she loves about metal work is the vast diversity it offers such as sculpting metal clay, raising vessels, enameling in brilliant colors, casting from wax carvings, gem stone setting… the techniques and consequently the possibilities are simply endless! She is currently having fun creating a body of work in the genre of Automata: kinetic sculptures and jewelry.