Have you ever wondered how artists paint with wax? This introductory course is ideal for anyone new to the exciting and dynamic medium of ‘encaustic’ (aka beeswax) painting... or for those just needing a refresher! You will come away with a solid understanding of the medium, proper application techniques and four completed sample boards. A variety of topics relating to encaustic work will be explored, including:
- Brief history of the medium
- Encaustic essentials including: supports and grounds, tools and materials
- Safety precautions
- Fusing fundamentals and methods
- Layering and building up your wax surface: smooth or textured
- Image transfer techniques
- Intarsia (excavating and filling with pigmented wax or oil paint)
- Layering with opaque and transparent colours
- How to set up your own home encaustic studio
This workshop is open to adults with all levels of experience with encaustics.
Registration cost: $260 .
Registration closes on Wednesday October 24th, 2018 at 9 PM.
Did you know that Members of the Leighton Art Centre, get 10% off the registration cost of all workshops and kids’ summer camps? Visit our website to find out more about our memberships.
For our Cancellation and Refund Policy, please visit the Workshop page on our website.
Sharon Lynn Williams has been happily exploring mixed watermedia for over 35 years and her mantra is “What would happen if…?”. The excitement of working from chaos to order is invigorating and creates a dialogue between the work and the artist. Sharon enjoys working with bold colour, line and texture. Her work is informed by the landscapes that she paints en plein air in oil, her passion for gardening and love of the human figure. Sharon's interpretations of the beauty around her, as well as her vivid imagination make for an eclectic and varied body of work. Visit her online at http://www.sharonlynnwilliams.com/.