The Leighton Art Centre invites you to come learn and create with some of the artists participating in the exhibition Impressions: A Printmaking Exhibition, open from June 24 to September 24 2017.
In this workshop, artist Lenny Lane aims to take students from beginner to advanced level by examining processes, methods, tools and techniques used in reduction lino printmaking.Lenny will also talk about alternative tools for carving and some of the properties of linoleum and paper. Students will gain the confidence and knowledge to pursue this medium in the comfort of their own studio, or even at home.
With the aid of professional examples and guidance, students will learn many “How To” techniques to improve skills and will receive step-by-step guidance to creating a print from the their own designs. This hands-on class will engage the students in understanding the following elements of multi-colour lino printing:
- The planning of multi-colour lino printing. Block, Paper and Registration
- Ideal paper for lino printing
- The process of building a registration board (boards and notes will be supplied)
- Applying good design: what to consider, how to transfer an image to lino blocks
- Inks: oil versus water-based. Understanding properties and their effects
- How to fix common errors and mistakes
- Printing presses and alternative tools
- Tips on good housekeeping for better quality images
With over 30 years experience in creating lino reduction prints, Lenny will be on hand to help and guide students through any obstacles they encounter, offer advice and insight to encourage students to have fun and learn how to create quality multi-colour lino prints. By end of this class, students will have an edition of multi-colour prints, a full understanding of the steps involved, notes and resources to take home and the confidence to continue making reduction lino prints.
Most supplies are included in this workshop.
Please bring the following supplies with you the day of the workshop:
- Old clothes and/ or apron
- Sketchbook with simple sketches, ideas and references
- Optional: Linoleum carving tools/Speedball cutters and printmaking brayers
- Lunch and snacks for both days
Single Tickets are $135.
Did you know that as a member of the Leighton Art Centre, you can get 10% off the registration of our workshops? Visit our website by clicking here to find out more about our memberships. Please email email@example.com to receive the member discount code.
For our Cancellation and Refund Policy, please visit the Workshop page by clicking here.
A graduate in Printmaking and Graphic Design from Duncan of Jordanstone College of Art & Design, Dundee, Scotland, Lenny has continued to push the boundaries of linoprinting to learn more of its possibilities over the years. Using a diversity of inspirations his work is now in the hands of collectors in the UK, Ireland, France, Germany, Norway, Finland, Australia, and Canada. Moving to Calgary in 2001, Lenny found inspiration in the foothills of southern Alberta, where the focus can be found in recent work. An active member of the Federation of Canadian Artists, he now exhibits locally around Calgary, including the Leighton Arts Centre and Calgary Stampede (2017 Artists Ranch Project.)