Enjoy the outdoors as you document your travels with a creative flair! Learn the secrets of capturing architecture, nature, and indoor scenes while you are on the road, using a variety of techniques with watercolour and ink. This class will focus on a wide range of approaches for quickly capturing the moment with easy-to-transport supplies as well as plenty of practical information on what to bring for your adventures!
Each session will focus on different areas of the beautiful Leighton property as well as feature different drawing skills and techniques. Join for one session or come for all!
Classes will be observing the latest recommendations for Covid-19 safety with outdoor social distancing. If you have further questions, please don’t hesitate to contact us!
Here are comments from participants of last year's workshop:
"I loved the encouragement to play, it was freeing and fun. I especially like the idea of timed drawings!"
"Michelle Wiebe was great! She is practical, funny, creative, EXPERIENCED, and sincere!"
"I loved working in a variety of spaces with a variety of mediums."
This workshop is suitable for both beginners with a desire to start sketching or the intermediate artist wishing to develop a regular sketching practice!
Weather: In case of rain, activities will be performed inside the museum or one of the art studios of the Leighton Art Centre.
Supplies: Please bring the following supplies to the workshop. The Leighton Art Center has extra supplies to supplement your own.
- Brand new Sketchbook 50 - 100 pages, white paper, 5.5" x 8.5" - 8.5" x 11.5" sized, can be spiral or hardbound (student’s preference)
- 1 to 3 different sized tip artist quality fine liner pens (black) - waterproof (suggested brands: Sakura Micron, Staedler, Faber-Castell)
- 1 to 3 different sized tip artist quality fine liner pens (black) – not waterproof (suggested brands: Prismacolour, Pilot)
- An assortment of paintbrushes that you already own (smaller ones are preferred) (LAC has some to borrow)
- If you already own watercolour tubes and watercolour pencils, we invite you to bring those with you to permit you to get to know your supplies!
- A bag to carry supplies around the property (plastic is fine)
- Weather appropriate clothing and shoes for sketching outside. Students who require reading glasses to create will want to bring them along.
- Students who wish to sit while working outside may bring a fold-up stool or chair. (LAC has some to borrow!)
- A lunch, snack and water bottle for the day!
Registration cost: $85 plus GST & Eventbrite Fees*
* or register by phone: 403-931-3633, Wed-Sun, 10 am – 4 pm to avoid Eventbrite fees
Did you know that Members of the Leighton Art Centre get 10% off the registration cost of all workshops and kids’ summer camps? Please visit http://www.leightoncentre.org/support/members.
For our Cancellation and Refund Policy, please visit www.leightoncentre.org/programs-events/adult-programs.
Michelle Wiebe is a Cochrane, Alberta-based artist focused primarily on painting, printmaking and letterpress. Regularly found on sketching trips in the Calgary area, her drawing adventures have taken her as far away as Eastern Europe, the Mediterranean and Africa. Michelle is a passionate instructor with a deep love for teaching and she makes it her goal that students leave her class with quality work and the confidence to continue building their new skills.
Facebook: Michelle Wiebe Art