Have you ever wondered how an artist decides on a particular artistic style and use of colour? Join Sharon for an in depth look at what you really love in other’s artwork, and how you can use that list to build your own unique style. There will be some pre-class preparation required, and then we will gather on the weekend to try to work this out in paint. We will be using acrylics as it is easy to manipulate and ‘try stuff on’. This class will literally be life changing for any artist willing to put in the effort.
Audience: Experienced beginner to advanced. Must have experience working with acrylic paint - Sharon will work with each student individually!
* Acrylic paint - your choice of colours, but a minimum of a warm and cool of each primary colour plus black and white. ARTIST QUALITY ONLY please.
* Stay wet palette, spray bottle and Grey Matters palette paper
* Brushes in a variety of sizes from 2” to 1/8”
* Supports - Gessoed stretched canvas or canvas boards, 140-300lb watercolour paper (gessoed before class). Please have 2 -3 gessoed supports with you for this class.
* Reference material - Preferably something that you have already painted so you are ready to mix things up - please bring a photo of the original work.
* Extra - shop towels, pencil, ultrafine point Sharpie marker, sketchbook, camera and lunch!
Registration cost: $225 + GST & Eventbrite Fees*
* or register by phone: 403-931-3633, Mon-Sat, 10 am – 4 pm to avoid Eventbrite fees
Registration closes on Thursday September 12th, 2019 at 6 PM.
Did you know that Members of the Leighton Art Centre get 10% off the registration cost of all workshops and kids’ summer camps? Please visit www.leightoncentre.org/support/members.
For our Cancellation and Refund Policy, please visit www.leightoncentre.org/programs-events/adult-programs.
Sharon began painting oils 'en plein air' (in the fresh air) as she longed to escape the confines of her studio and connect once again with nature. She was totally surprised by the sense of wonder she felt, and the spontaneity and honesty the paintings revealed. Sharon loves the spiritual connection she makes while the wind is blowing through her hair and the sounds and smells fill out her senses. A great passion has since overtaken her and she tries to get out painting as often as her schedule and the weather permit. In her plein air work she tries to capture what interests her the most in a scene and put it into an compelling design; focusing on simplifying shapes and filling them with interesting colour. Sharon’s desire is that her paintings will transport the viewer into my pictorial world to connect with the majesty of Nature as she has done.
Sharon has also been happily exploring mixed watermedia for over 35 years, and her mantra is “What would happen if…” The excitement of working from chaos to order is invigorating and creates a dialogue between the work and the artist. Sharon enjoys working with bold colour, line and texture. Her work is informed by the landscapes that she paints en plein air in oil, her passion for gardening and love of the human figure. Sharon's interpretations of the beauty around her, as well as her vivid imagination make for an eclectic and varied body of work.