Due to popular demand, a new date for this workshop has been added! July 8th workshop is sold out. This workshop is now also offered on July 15th.
This summer step out of your studio to become a Plein Air Artist, striving to capture the moment and the incomparable experience of 'being there', in the great outdoors. Through the Plein Air Workshop Series, the Leighton Art Centre invites beginner and practicing artists to come and practice with a variety of mediums and techniques.
Artist and instructor Michelle Wiebe invites you to join us in exploring ways to document your travels with creative flair! Using a variety of techniques with watercolour and ink, learn the secrets of capturing architecture, nature, and indoor scenes while you are on the road. This class will focus on a wide range of approaches for quickly capturing the moment with easy-to-transport supplies as well plenty of practical information of what to bring on your adventures!
WEATHER: In case of rain, activities will be performed inside the museum or one of the art studios of the Leighton Art Centre.
SUPPLIES: Some supplies are included in the workshop fee. Please bring with you the following supplies:
- Brand new Sketchbook 50 - 100 pages, white paper, 5.5" x 8.5" - 8.5" x 11.5" sized, can be spiral or hard bound (student’s preference)
- 1-3 different sized tip artist quality fine liner pens (black) - waterproof (suggested brands: Sakura Micron, Staedler, Faber-Castell)
- 1 -3 different sized tip artist quality fine liner pens (black) – not water proof (suggested brands: Prismacolour, Pilot)
- An assortment of paintbrushes that you already own (smaller ones are preffered)
- If you already own watercolor tubes and watercolor pencils, we invite you to bring those with you also!
- A bag to carry supplies around property (plastic is fine)
- Weather appropriate clothing and shoes for sketching outside. Students who require reading glasses to create will want to bring them along.
- Students who wish to sit while working outside may bring a fold up stool or chair.
Tickets for this workshop are $65.00.
Did you know that as a member of the Leighton Art Centre, you can get 10% off the registration of our workshops? Visit our website by clicking here to find out more about our memberships.
Michelle Wiebe is a Cochrane, Alberta-based artist focused primarily on painting, printmaking and letterpress. Regularly found on sketching trips in the Calgary area, her drawing adventures have taken her as far away as Eastern Europe, the Mediterranean and Africa. Michelle is a passionate instructor with a deep love for teaching, she makes it her goal that students leave her class with quality work and the confidence to continue building their new skills.