Document your travels with creative flair! Using a variety of watercolour and ink techniques, learn the secrets of capturing architecture, nature and indoor scenes while you are on the road. This class will focus on a wide range of approaches for quickly capturing the moment with easy-to-transport supplies as well plenty of practical information of what to bring on your adventures!
Here’s what some participants of last year's workshop had to say:
"I loved the encouragement to play, it was freeing and fun. I especially like the idea of timed drawings!"
"Michelle Wiebe was great! She is practical, funny, creative, EXPERIENCED, and sincere!"
"I loved working in a variety of spaces with a variety of mediums."
Audience: This workshop is suitable for both beginners with a desire to start sketching or the intermediate artist wishing to develop a regular sketching practice!
Weather: In case of rain, activities will be performed inside the museum or one of the art studios of the Leighton Art Centre.
Supplies: Supplies included in the workshop fee are watercolour paints, watercolour pencils, and paint brushes. Please bring with you the following supplies:
- Brand new Sketchbook 50 - 100 pages, white paper, 5.5" x 8.5" - 8.5" x 11.5" sized, can be spiral or hard bound (student’s preference)
- 1 to 3 different sized tip artist quality fine liner pens (black) - waterproof (suggested brands: Sakura Micron, Staedler, Faber-Castell)
- 1 to 3 different sized tip artist quality fine liner pens (black) – not water proof (suggested brands: Prismacolour, Pilot)
- An assortment of paintbrushes that you already own (smaller ones are preferred)
- If you already own watercolour tubes and watercolour pencils, we invite you to bring those with you to permit you to get to know your supplies!
- A bag to carry supplies around property (plastic is fine)
- Weather appropriate clothing and shoes for sketching outside. Students who require reading glasses to create will want to bring them along.
- Students who wish to sit while working outside may bring a fold up stool or chair.
- A lunch and snacks for the day!
SUPPLY DISCOUNT! Swinton Art Supplies is offering a 10% for supplies related to this workshop! You will need to show proof of registration to the workshop to receive the discount.
Registration cost: $75
Registration closes on the Friday July 20th, at 9 PM.
Did you know that Members of the Leighton Art Centre, get 10% off the registration cost of all workshops and kids’ summer camps? Visit our website to find out more about our memberships.
For our Cancellation and Refund Policy, please visit the Workshop page on our website.
Michelle Wiebe is a Cochrane, Alberta-based artist focused primarily on painting, printmaking and letterpress. Regularly found on sketching trips in the Calgary area, her drawing adventures have taken her as far away as Eastern Europe, the Mediterranean and Africa. Michelle is a passionate instructor with a deep love for teaching and she makes it her goal that students leave her class with quality work and the confidence to continue building their new skills.
Facebook: Michelle Wiebe Art