Combine the ease of a fine point marker with loose flowing watercolour washes to create quick and exciting sketches of your favourite landscapes. This combination of mediums is the perfect way to begin a visual journal. No previous painting experience is required. Sharon has taught this quick sketching method to hundreds of artists and non-artists alike with great success.
Audience: This workshop is suitable for Adults and Teenagers.
Supplies to bring: Sharon says:
1) Brushes - inexpensive #6 or #8 white Taklon short-handled watercolour paintbrush. LAC has assorted brushes that could be borrowed.
2) Markers - Ultra Fine Point Sharpe marker (black).
3) Sketchbook - 5”x 7” (or 6“x 9”) spiral bound sketchbook. (Robert Bateman Cover Series, 110lb acid-free pages, 100% recycled paper, 50 sheets each is a nice one)
4) Watercolours - (suggested colours below are M Graham brand, but any ARTIST QUALITY paint will do)
- ultramarine bluethalo blue (or Winsor blue green shade)
- gamboge hue(or new gamboge)azo yellow (or aureolin)
- napthol red light (or scarlet lake by WN)
- quinacridone rose (or permanent rose)
- sap green
- burnt sienna (WN preferred)
***a W&N field box of paints or any set of paint that comes in a palette setting will work as long as there is a mixing area. LAC has Cotman Pocket Sketcher Kits to borrow if required.
5) Palettes - palette to put your paint into. They should have a decent size mixing area. LAC has palettes to borrow.
6) Miscellaneous - empty containers for water (such as yogurt containers), Kleenex – the kind without lotion. LAC has containers to borrow.
7) Photos – The Leighton Centre is on 80 acres with incredible landscape and views but please bring photo references in case of rainy weather (8 to 12 landscape photos - please do not bring magazine or calendar photos. The photos should be of places you love and have preferably taken yourself!)
The Leighton Centre is on 80 acres with incredible landscape and views but please bring photo references in case of rainy weather (8 to 12 landscape photos - please do not bring magazine or calendar photos. The photos should be of places you love and have preferably taken yourself!
Please don’t forget to bring a lunch, water bottle and snack.
Registration cost: $120 plus GST & Eventbrite Fees*
* or register by phone: 403-931-3633, Tues-Sat, 10 am – 4 pm to avoid Eventbrite fees
Registration closes on June 18, 2020, at 5 PM
Did you know that Members of the Leighton Art Centre get 10% off the registration cost of all workshops and kids’ summer camps? Please visit www.leightoncentre.org/support/members.
For our Cancellation and Refund Policy, please visit www.leightoncentre.org/programs-events/adult-programs.
Sharon Lynn Williams has been happily exploring mixed water media for over 35 years, and her mantra is “What would happen if…” The excitement of working from chaos to order is invigorating and creates a dialogue between the work and the artist. Sharon enjoys working with bold colour, line and texture. Her work is informed by the landscapes that she paints en Plein air in oil, her passion for gardening and love of the human figure. Sharon's interpretations of the beauty around her, as well as her vivid imagination, make for an eclectic and varied body of work. Visit her website at http://www.sharonlynnwilliams.com/.