Art & Nature School Program
- Our 4-hour on-site school program combines exploring art in the Leighton Art Centre’s museum with hands on art lessons in our historic art studios. Here at Leighton, nature is our inspiration, our classroom, and our playground.
- Our program includes a dedicated instructor who will promote visual literacy, thoughtful observation, critical thinking and gain inspiration from the landscape around us. The Leighton Art Centre is situated on 80 acres of Foothills landscape and students will enjoy a nature walk while recording their thoughts and experiences in their own sketchbook. Our mission is to inspire an appreciation of art and nature and to discover the connection between them. We believe deeply in carrying on Barbara Leighton’s dream to “unleash the artist in everyone.”
- We have three historic art studios available for your group.
Please follow the Check Availability icon to book your school field trip.
Important information before you book:
- Our art studios are historic and all are differnt in size. We will assign studio space according to class sizes.
- We have a minimum booking of 20 students for one studio, 38 students for two studios, and 57 students for three studios.
- We have a maximum capacity of 86 students per day.
- Days marked UNAVAILABLE are previously booked. Please check with us for possible studio openings or check out our Art-to-Go! Option. January 2017 will offer Art-toGo! exclusively
- We will send an invoice back to school with you on the day of your visit. There is no need to bring payment. Your office can forward a cheque at a later date.
Rates per Student:
$16 - Art and Nature
$20 - Professional Development (Teachers & Support Staff - Please contact us directly for info and availability)
For two main art projects: If a school would like to do two main art activites instead of the regular one per class, an additional $2.50 will be added. The total per student will then be $18.50 / We recommend allotting an extra 30 minutes to your day.
*Please note the Banner Project is no longer offered as part of the regular Art & Nature program. Please contact us or make a note during registration if you would like to add it to your day.
**The content of exhibitions at the Leighton Museum/Art Gallery constantly changes. Please call ahead if you have any questions.
*** The Leighton Centre reserves the right to reassign studio space when student numbers warrant.
28 WORKING DAYS notification required or a charge of $100.00 will be incurred. This does NOT include WEATHER-RELATED CANCELLATIONS.
THE LEIGHTON ART CENTRE WILL BE CLOSED DURING TEMPERATURES OF MINUS 20 DEGREES AND COLDER.
- The decision to cancel classes at the Leighton Art Centre will be made by the Education Coordinator by 7:30 am on the day of your intended field trip and in some cases the night before (if storm warnings have been issued for the area). Teachers and Leighton staff may share home phone numbers so this decision can be made in a timely fashion. If a home number is not provided, then a message will be left at the school. The Leighton Art Centre apologizes for any inconvenience in cancelling classes but this decision is made with safety of students and staff at all times. Every effort will be made to reschedule cancelled groups. Common sense will prevail in all cancellations as we cannot predict road conditions, actual temperatures, etc.
Please contact Victoria Sanchez at the Ed Centre: 403-931-3636 / email@example.com if you experience difficulties registering your group.